If you have ever found it annoying that when you use RWW with SBS 2003 that you end up with a lot of printers to choose from then this tip might be something you’ll also find awesome. How would you like it if the only printer that redirected was the one you normally print to, your default? No longer be cluttered with Adobe .pdf printers, One Note printers, Microsoft Document Imaging printers, fax printers, …etc.
Well there is a way to do it via the registry. The KB this comes from also referred to a hotfix; however, being that this KB is over 3 years old I’m assuming that the hotfix has been rolled up in an update or service pack by now. –
How to modify the registry to configure default printer redirection on a Terminal Services client
To configure default printer redirection on a Terminal Services client, add the RedirectDefaultPrinterOnly registry entry to the Windows registry. To do this, follow these steps:
- locate and then click the following registry subkey:
“HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR”
Note To configure default printer redirection for only the current user, locate and then click the following registry subkey instead:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR
- On the Edit menu (assuming the value below doesn’t yet exist), point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type RedirectDefaultPrinterOnly, and then press ENTER.
- Double-click RedirectDefaultPrinterOnly, type 1 (on) in the Value data box, and then click OK.
Note Type 0 (off) in the Value data box to disable the registry entry. Setting the value data to 0 turns off default printer redirection.
– BTW while you are in the registry at that Subkey you might consider another addition. Another KB discussed issues regarding some printers that use a DOT4 printer port instead of a COM, USB, or LPT1 port. This key forces all ports to be filtered for redirection. I see no downside to doing this proactively even before a DOT4 printer is introduced – KB302361
add a DWORD value named FilterQueueType to “HKxx\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR and set its value data to FFFFFFFF”.